Wednesday, July 25, 2012

That's the way I dance it!!!


I started this day tired. Yesterday was a stressful day with the microteaching, and getting ready for my performance at Harmonia Concert.

The first class was with Rochelle. I pretended being there but my mind wasn’t there, I was simply too tired, I learnt new things though. One of my main concerns since I started teaching has been to teach the Ss how to learn my subject, but most of the time I don’t find out the way to do it. Rochelle gave me wonderful tools and ideas to accomplish that goal.

The afternoon session was just amazing. It was about my weakness: pronunciation. Michelle is such a wonderful teacher in this topic. She told me not to worry about because I’m not the only one, and encouraged me to improve my skills by practicing them. She gave us some techniques, bibliography and tools to get our students to move on pronunciation. I was just amazed.

Finally, the moment to perform was there. I wore my Mexican custom, warmed up and got ready for the show. I picked El cascabel song from Veracruz, not a well-known, but a really beautiful one to perform. I hear the music and I just gave myself while I was dancing, in my mind, nobody was there but me. At the end, I heard the standing ovation; as we say in Mexico: the clap is the food of the artist. I had a long time without doing it, I felt great and relieved. Now, I feel really happy I gave a good moment to the audience. All the stress has gone away.

2 comments:

  1. You were amazing, Benjamin. I could tell that you were in your own world while you were dancing yet still responsive to the audience. I always enjoy any performance better if it looks like the performer is enjoying him/herself. How long have you been dancing? Did you start when you were young?

    I imagine that you slept well that night having accomplished two "feats" in the same day.

    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been dancing since I was 10 years old. I've never done in a professional group. But my mom use to lead a folkloric dance company for young people and she got some teachers form different parts of Mexico. I danced in that group from 13 to 21 years old, and since I became a dance teacher since I was 15. However, I haven't dance practice since 2001 as those youth days; I was really tired at the day of the performance.

    ReplyDelete