Friday, July 20, 2012

CONAN THE GRAMMARIAN!


Today has been a painful one. Since Monday I have been exercising. The first two days, only spinning and jogging, but since Wednesday I started to lift a little weight. Then, I felt this sensation after finishing that session. After 24 hours on Thursday night, the pain began to go over my body: chest, shoulders, back and legs. Today in the morning I barely had strength to jump out my bed, and the pain was worse.

In those conditions I attended to Mrs. Rochelle class, which was about teaching grammar. That relief my ego, many things she recommended fits in what I actually do in Mexico. I always start the class with a real life example, according to my student’s context. Also, before certain grammar issue, I ask them to research about some concepts as homework. Then, I show them the grammar pattern and how does that fit with the specific grammar structure. There are few things I have to change, those are big deal, and have tried to apply them so far: teach grammar issues in the target language and not to plan a specific day for the grammar talking. Anyway, Rochell’s class gave a few ideas, and I’m going to read Brown’s book also.

In the afternoon I went to MA Cindi class where we finished the posters we had not finished. Those were about teaching foreign language methods. I have always been aware that my teaching fits in the “grammar translation method”, not consciously though. That is because my course is focused on reading and writing, and that is why one of my main goals in this course is to learn speaking/listening techniques as well the communicative approach. Everything has been new for me in this course, therefore, very interesting. And the pain all over my body kept increasing.

At the end of the day I went back to gym for yesterday I wasn’t able since I went bowling. So, I did 30 minutes jogging.. It is normal to feel a little pain after several months without athletic training. I'm planning to keep my training till the end of the course.  I am tired, I feel ok though.

See you tomorrow everybody.

1 comment:

  1. I love the title you gave this entry! You are strong indeed to go to grammar class despite your painful muscles. Let me know how your exercise programs ensues. More power to you for doing it!

    Cindi

    ReplyDelete