Sunday, July 22, 2012

FAMILY DAY!


This weekend, on Saturday, was the family day. I spent a whole day with an American family. It has been a great experience. I was one the firsts to be waiting at the lobby, suddenly, I heard Rochelle’s voice calling my name, so I knew my host family was already there.

Firstly, we went the Fayetteville street market. That surprised me because I’ve been several times here in the US and I’ve never seen one. In Mexico this kind of markets are very common, and Fayetteville Farmers Market is quite alike the Mexico’s ones. Anyway, there were two things that I found interesting. The most important is that any product that is sold in the market has to be produced by the seller and the other interesting thing was that the alimentary products sold in the market have to be organically produced. This is a good way to improve local economy and productive methods.

After that, we had lunch in a very nice place where they cook BBQ. The owner was a nice guy and told us how he started running his business. He has built the entire place by himself and has a very original decoration. The BBQ was delicious, but the owner didn’t want to share his secret recipe. I had a great time there.

Then we went to Happy Hollow Elementary school. This is a continuous learning system school, which means, that the students has short break periods, so they don’t lose too much contact with their learning process. The disadvantage is that it is difficult for the parents who have more than one kid and they are in different system schools, for the break periods don’t match most of the time. Besides, there are only two schools in Fayetteville that work with continuous system. Another interesting thing is that school building was made in a friendly environmental way and energy efficient. I think that this type of constructions is going to become more popular.

Finally, we had dinner in the host family’s house. We spoke about several subjects. The one that I found most interesting is that they told me their life plan in ten years. They said they are going to sell their house and go to old people complex, kind of condominiums; there they will have access to nursing services and other cares for old persons. When they get weaker because of the age, they will be sent to a nursing home. It is not very common in Mexico this kind of situation, I don’t mean there are no nursing homes there, but much fewer than here in the US. The reason is that most of the time family takes care of the old members. Like my grandmother, she takes care of my great-grandmother.

At the end I had a very good day and a great experience I will never forget. Thanks for opening me your doors.

3 comments:

  1. Wow - it sounds like quite a full day of activities you had, Benjamin.

    I think that having markets on certain days is gaining popularity in the U.S. In my community in California, one started a few years ago. I like it a lot, but I have to say that I don't get there often.

    Was the BBQ place that you went to Penguin Ed's? I look forward to getting a chicken salad there every time I come to Fayetteville.

    Visitors to the U.S. often remark about the treatment of the elderly here. The thing that is most often overlooked is the fact that the elderly don't want to live with their kids. Of course, they mostly want to stay in their homes, but if not, they'd rather go to an assisted living program. And, like the couple you visited, many move to such a place on their own, usually when one needs more care than the other can provide.

    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember exactly the name of the restaurant, it used to be a mobile restaurant. Now, the place is a small place with car plates on the wall. I don't if it is the one you say.

    Well, now I understand what happens with the elderly. In this case, they don't have any children, so it is a good idea to go there. You are right.

    Benjazz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure it was Penguin Ed's. It started as a trailer in a parking lot just as you described.
    cb

    ReplyDelete